How to Fix a UPVC Door Lock Mechanism
Broken door locks can be a nuisance, especially if you like things to run smoothly. If you find your door lock not functioning as it should be, there are things you can do to rectify the situation.
Several things can lead to your broken door lock. Your door lock can both be old and need to be replaced, or something is broken and needs replacement.
What Leads to a Broken UPVC Door Lock?
- Misaligned locks
- Wear and tear
- Cheap locks
- A faulty lock cylinder
- A stuck door lock
- A broken gearbox
Things you will need to fix a UPVC Door Lock
- Tape measure
- Rubber mallet
The process you will use largely depends on the circumstance of the door lock. You can approach it differently depending on the causative issue. If there is something broken inside the lock, you might only have to replace the broken part. The alternative is to replace the entire door lock.
Sometimes you might need to apply a lubricant to get things going. It is always vital to know what you are dealing with to avoid taking down the whole lock while a few screws or a lubricant would have been enough.
Steps You Can Take to Fix a UPVC Door Lock
- The first step is to remove the old door lock. Use a screwdriver for this purpose. Take apart the handles and spindles from the rest of the lock, if any. Put the key in its slot and remove the screw that holds in the cylinder. Turn in the key to remove the cylinder and the whole lock altogether.
- The second step is to identify the type of lock you have. Since UPVC locks are multipoint locks, take extra care to pin down your brand. If you stick to the same brand, it will be easier to repair the broken UPVC door lock mechanism. Look at the faceplate for the manufacturer’s name and brand mark.
- The third step is to measure your lock so that you can purchase a new one. You can skip this step by taking your old lock to the store and purchasing a new one. Many people prefer to carry the old lock with them as they buy a new one.
- The fourth step is to replace your lock. Insert the lock inside the door and, using a screwdriver, screw it into place. If you face some difficulties, you can use the rubber mallet to get the lock mechanism into place.
- The fifth and final step is to test your new lock. Look out for things like the key turning easily. Perform this last step with an open door.
Important Tips to Keep in Mind
To adjust a UPVC door mechanism requires you to pay attention to the problem at hand. Identify the problem before you make any assumptions. There is no need to change the whole lock mechanism because of a minor problem.
If you encounter a problem like a broken gearbox, don’t try to repair it yourself. Contact your local locksmith to help out. You don’t want to make the situation worse than it already is.
Since you will remove several screws, make a mental note of where the screws should go. Be keen, and you can even write something down or have someone with you to help out.
Depending on the type of lock you use, you can test your lock before reattaching to the door. It is an important step if you are unsure about your lock working. Hopefully, everything will be on track.
When buying locks, always remember to buy sturdy ones that cannot be easily manipulated.
How to Maintain UPVC Door Locks
UPVC lock door mechanisms require a degree of attention to make them last longer. For example, you can apply light oil to ensure that the device runs smoothly without annoying noises.
When you realize that your handles are becoming loose, tighten them back up as soon as possible. Rectifying a problem as soon as it happens will help you cut down expenses because you will not need a new lock at the end of the day.
It is not difficult to fix a UPVC door mechanism. What you need are the right tools for the job and following the above guide to help you in fixing your broken lock door.